A synth punk band turned a new leaf on their 2010 album “Gift Horse” and became a sludge metal band, taking obvious influences from Mastodon. While you could argue some of their riffs are very simple and also very typical of the genre, you could say that of the whole genre to certain extent. I love the album, so buy it.
So! I’m back.
I’ve been busy playing around with Maschine. I got it on Friday, against all odds, and I’ve been toying with it since. With some breaks for movies, restaurant and general R&R with my significant other. But other than that I’ve been mostly tweaking with it constantly day in and day out.
My first break from it has been today. I’ve done numerous little experiments with it, trying to learn the interface. I haven’t made a full song, but I did extensively research the best way to incorporate it in to my current workflow. It’s a little cumbersome, actually.
But I think it’ll be worth it in the long run. As for making songs just on it, the arranger is too inflexible for me to consider that a possibility. The scene based system might work for live performances, but for proper arrangement… not really my thing.
Regardless, here’s a bunch of stuff I did with Maschine, ranging from 15 second loop to about 2minute loops. They’re (almost) all loops that aren’t really finished, and some could be songs if I could bothered. They usually don’t have synths, but might some simple have bass on them.
Also, obviously, the mixing is nonexistent.
All were done purely in Maschine, few of them had Kore as a synth, but then I moved to the 64bit Maschine client and lost that possiblity. Hey, Native Instruments, I could really use a 64bit version of Kore 2! Ok, that’s it for today.
I’ll try to make a real song one of these days. That “Old School Horses” (first clip) has some promise.
Download OGG from here.
This work by Jyri Nousiainen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Boom! The song I promised. Took me hour and twenty minutes. Naturally, I didn’t do full length. It’s only 2 minutes and some more. It’s pretty simple, d’oh, and I went all retro. I’m calling it “Boom!” just because it was the first word to come to mind when I started the project. It’s done 90% with the Razor synth of Native Instruments. It’s a very cool synth. I nabbed the drum mix from my Project Mayhem, though, so there was a little shortcut there.
Oh, yeah. No idea about the mix quality. I did the song with headphones on as my Significant Other is still sleeping. So, yeah… Hopefully it’s okay.
I updated the mix a little. I didn’t change any big stuffs, as I don’t feel the need to be absolutely perfect with this little tune. That said, I toned down the lead a little and bass up a tad. Also, added a download link for those who are in to this little ditty. I’ll add download links to those songs that I feel are somewhat done. This one is done because it was a quick song, and I definitely won’t be finishing it — unless someone feels this would work in their game or something.